–Babson College, BS, MBA
–Columbia University, post graduate studies
Mr. Metropoulos’ early career was with GTE International, initially as CFO of Europe, Middle East and Africa and subsequently as the company’s youngest Senior Vice President/CFO of its International Business, including Telecommunications, Home Entertainment, Lighting and Precision Materials. GTE operated in every continent, often in partnership with local governments (telecom) and local businesses, and, as well as with its own operations. Mr. Metropoulos attributes the differentiated and respected investment and management skills, widely identified with Metropoulos & Co., to his early international career and to Babson’s excellent entrepreneurial education.
Metropoulos & Co. is a boutique acquisition and management firm started by Mr. Metropoulos and later joined by his sons, Evan and Daren, that have been involved for the past 30 years in building, restructuring and growing numerous businesses in the U.S., Mexico and Europe. Many of these were subsequently taken public or sold to strategic corporations or other private equity firms.
Some of the “buy-build” private equity transactions led by Mr. Metropoulos include:
- Stella Foods (the #1 specialty cheese company in the U.S. & Canada)
- The Morningstar Group, Inc. (traded on the NASDAQ at the time)
- International Home Foods, Inc. (Chef Boyardee, Pam Cooking Spray, Gulden’s Mustard & Bumble Bee Tuna) – traded on the NYSE at the time
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Co.
- Mumm and Perrier Jouet Champagnes (France)
- Hillsdown Holdings, PLC (Premier International Foods, Burtons Biscuits, & Christie Tyler – UK/Europe)
- Pinnacle Foods Group, Inc. (Swanson/Hungry-Man, Vlasic Pickles, Open Pit Barbeque Sauce, Duncan Hines, Log Cabin Syrup, Mrs. Butterworth’s Syrup, Aunt Jemima Frozen Breakfast, Mrs. Paul’s Seafood, Van De Kamp’s Seafood, Celeste Pizza, & Lender’s Bagels)
- National Waterworks
- Solar Marine (a private international dry cargo shipping company)
- Pabst Brewing Company
- EPAQ (an integrated oil drilling company)
- Hostess Brands, LLC
- Utz Quality Foods, Inc. (one of the oldest east coast salty snack companies)
- Golden Flake Snack Foods (salty snacks)
Mr. Metropoulos has been involved in more than 81 acquisitions in many parts of the world over the past 30 years, and has earned some of the most attractive returns on Wall Street. Highly respected for his integrity and commitment, Mr. Metropoulos is a sought after partner by many of the major private equity firms and international investors.
The Metropoulos family is also very active with philanthropy, including, their commitments to the Gate’s Foundation “Giving Pledge”, the Campaign to End Childhood Hunger, Hole in the Wall Gang Camps, veterans, education, medical research and others.
Mr. Metropoulos and his wife, Marianne, of 40 years, have two sons, Evan and Daren, who have been involved and are an integral part of Metropoulos & Co.